Monday

Step Stool Makeover Using Scrapbook Paper

Step Stool Makeover Using Scrapbook Paper

A step stool can have many uses around the house, especially if you have children.  That's why when my mother-in-law gave me a simple, handmade step stool that she bought at a yard sale for $2 or less, I knew I had to take it from functional to functionally fabulous!  I had been trying to decide how I wanted to makeover the step stool when I was offered some amazing paper craft supplies from Dear Lizzy Fifth and Frolic.  The amazing crisp blues, greens, pinks and yellows were a perfect complement to the bathroom where I planned on using the step stool, so I knew it was meant to be.

Dear Lizzy Sample - Available at JoAnn's on March 17, 2013

Tutorial for Step Stool Transformation

Step Stool Before & After

1. Paint the step stool.  - The first thing I did to the stool was wipe it clean and paint it.  I used some leftover wall paint.

Paint Step Stool

2.  Cut paper to size. - I picked which pieces of craft paper I needed and cut each piece to the exact size I needed.  You can now pickup these same papers and more Dear Lizzy products at Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores.

Scrapbook Paper Cut to Size

3.  Glue each piece down with Mod Podge. - The next step was to put a layer of Mod Podge on each piece of scrapbook paper, as well as the location where the paper was going.  Using a brayer is the best way to make sure that no bubbles arise under your paper as it dries.

Mod Podge each layer of Scrapbook paper and let dry

 4.  Add Ribbon Trim. - In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I hadn't done quite as good of a job cutting my scrapbook paper as I had thought.  The top piece was just a tiny bit short of reaching the back, so I decided to add a matching ribbon that I happened to have on hand to trim it out.  I think it added a nice additional layer to the project, so it all worked out.

Ribbon Trim

5.  Add the flag banner to the sides. - I really loved the flag banner that came with the Dear Lizzy products.  It came just like a sheet of scrapbook paper, only it was perforated for easy removal.  First, I mod podged the back of the flag banner, then the area where it was going on the step stool.  I was expecting this step to be more tedious since the flag banner was small and flexible, but it was so easy to apply.  I made sure that I had the same number of flags per banner for both the top and the bottom, so that each side would match appropriately.

Mod Podge Flag Banner
  
6.  Seal the step stool with hardcoat Mod Podge. - After researching it, I decided that hardcoat Mod Podge was the best medium for sealing my step stool, since it is a piece of furniture.  The hardcoat Mod Podge will not scratch as easily and is a little more hardy for a furniture piece.  You will need at least a couple of coats.

Step Stool Makeover with Scrapbook Paper and Mod Podge

7.  Enjoy! - I am so pleased with how it turned out.  I really love how the paper makes an arrow effect on the step stool.  I hope that if you make a similar project that you will enjoy it just as much as I am enjoying mine.

I hope this little stool will inspire you to take something drab and turn it into something fab.

Happy Crafting!

Niki   

*I received Dear Lizzy, Fifth & Frolic Scrapbooking Supplies in exchange for this post, however, my opinion of the products and project are sincerely my own. :) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I created a video tutorial for My YouTube Channel so feel free to check it out as well.


14 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute! I just love the Fifth & Frolic papers. I have never tried the Hardcoat Mod Podge - I need to get my hands on some! Great job!

Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

So cute!!! Love the ribbon you added. :)

Shannon Fox said...

This is darling! I love the way it look so cute and bright now. What a brill idea :)

Niki said...

Thanks, Shannon!! So glad you like it.

Niki said...

Thanks, Lindsay, I thunk I found that ribbon at Marshalls a while back. :)

Niki said...

Thanks, Summer!! You should see some of the other papers...they had one with a ruffle on it and some with sparkles. I was excited to find out about the hard coat too. Can't go wrong with Mod Podge. :)

Unknown said...

Love the 5th and Frolic papers, and you came up with such a fun way to use them! My favorite part is the little bunting flags on the sides - so sweet!

Unknown said...

So FUN! Great makeover!

Niki said...

Thanks, Laura!! Aren't those flags adorable...it's a really great line...very fun to work with. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Niki said...

Thanks, Stephanie, I was really pleased with how it turned out. Thanks for stopping by and for commenting.

Mique said...

Fun! I would've never thought to use scrapbook supplies to gussy up a stool. Love it!

nest of posies said...

oh that paper screams SPRING! what a fun pop of color!

Niki said...

Thanks, Ladies!!

Mad in Crafts said...

Adorable!